A brief history
Wight Diamonds Marching Band was formed in January 2000 by 12 musicians with the following aims:
· to carry on the tradition, friendship and spirit of bands on the Isle of Wight in an independent environment.
· to be a band from the community, working in the community, for the good of the community
· to provide a friendly and sociable environment in bands for like minded people of all ages and abilities.
We charge a small membership fee to cover overheads such as hall hire, music, uniform etc. Our membership fees are currently £1.50 for adults and £1.00 for under-18’s per week. Payment can be made monthy by standing order.
The band has a set of its own marching drums and percussion instruments, as well as a number of other instruments available for learners. Although we are not professional music teachers, we will always support the learning and development of playing for everybody from complete beginners upwards. There is no upper age limit for learning to play an instrument!
Our uniform is currently:
– black tunic (*)
– navy blue (printed) T-shirt (*)
– white belt (*)
– navy blue beret with badge (*)
– black trousers with blue stripe (*)
– black socks
– black polished shoes/boots
– white gloves (dependent on instrument) (*)
– for those with long hair – hair in a neat ponytail or bun with bun net
– wet weather raincoats (*)
The items marked (*) are supplied by the band.